Assistant Manager, Summer Day Camps (FULL TIME YEAR ROUND)
Come Join Our Team!
Did you love going to summer camp as a child or have experience working as a camp counselor? This an unique opportunity to join Pedalheads as a full-time Assistant Manager, Summer Day Camps for our 15+ Greater Seattle area bike and sport camps.
This is a newly created role where you will plan and run summer day camps that run for 10 weeks during the summer. This is a year-round role where you will be involved in planning and preparing for our peak season, hiring seasonal staff, marketing and promoting our programs, and manage camp operations. You will have the opportunity to make a direct impact to the organization, staff, customers and the children that come to our summer camps.
The Assistant Manager, Summer Day Camps will report to the Regional Manager, Washington and work out of our Shoreline, WA office.
Pedalheads® is a privately-owned company providing trail-blazing programs that promote children’s health and development. Our mission is to provide active programs that kids and parents love through fun, safe, engaging instruction that develops life skills, confidence and independence.
The business currently operates instructional biking, swimming and multi-sports camps in eleven cities across Canada and the USA. In 2018, there was over 55,000 participants at over one hundred camp locations. Currently in a phase of significant growth, the company has 30 full time and 1600 part-time employees working within a culture of collaboration and youthful exuberance. In operation since 1986, Pedalheads has earned a reputation for excellence in the communities it serves by providing innovative and educationally sound programs. Check out our website at www.pedalheads.com.
- Assist the Regional Manager with managing quality children’s programs (bike and sport camps) for ages 3 to 8 years old in the Seattle Metropolitan area.
- Lead and supervise summer camp staff by providing mentorship and motivation on-site and supporting the Site Leadership teams at each location.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with camp leaders, instructors and volunteers.
- Purchase, organize and maintain camp equipment throughout the year.
- Ensure that camp procedures and safety standards are being followed and upheld.
- Be actively involved in ensuring quality delivery of our children’s programs.
- Participate in ensuring friendly, caring and safe camp environments.
- Work with the Recruitment Specialist and Hiring Coordinator to ensure quality candidates are hired for seasonal roles.
- Attend hiring events, assist in the recruitment, selection and training process.
- Keep a connection with our seasonal employees through the off season with ongoing communications and updates.
- Help foster a culture that encourages connection, fun and teamwork.
- Assists Regional Manager with responding to customer complaints in a timely and professional manner, always aiming to provide solutions that ensure resolution.
- Always willing to go the extra mile to engage customers and provide an excellent customer experience.
- Proactively engage with parents and children on-site.
- Participate in marketing activities and promotional events as requested by the marketing department.
- Interact with other child focused organizations and businesses to develop beneficial relationships.
- Support corporate activities that drive business success and value for the customer.
- Relationship Builder – builds and preserves trusting relationships with site leaders, instructors, colleagues, customers, hiring resources and child focused organizations (daycares, preschools)
- Passionate and collaborative – participates and represents the company brand proudly
- Work ethic – self-motivated, works continuously towards successful outcomes
- Mentorship – able to develop and motivate employees
- Leadership - a mature and dynamic leader who is enthusiastic and brings a positive energy
- Responsible - takes initiative and takes charge of situations
- Organizer and planner – plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets efficiently and productively
- Flexibility/adaptability – adjusts quickly to changing situations; copes effectively with complexity and change; able to work occasional evening and weekends
- Team Player - has excellent verbal communication and collaboration skills and can work with all levels and functional areas of an organization
- Fun – understands the importance of team bonding and creates and open and social workspace
- A minimum of 2 year’s supervisory experience managing summer camps and/or teams of leaders/instructors
- Hands on experience with children’s programs/summer camps or in coaching, teaching, instructing children ages 3 to 8 years old
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to areas of responsibility
- Knowledge and understanding of the city and communities of Seattle
- Valid First Aid Certificate (or willing to obtain within 1 month of employment)
- Must pass a background check upon hire
- Must be competent with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Able to travel to our head office in Vancouver, BC Canada (1-3 times per year)
- Degree in Education, Sports Management or related field or equivalent education and experience
- Supervisory and/or hiring experience, especially with ages 15-25
Total rewards package includes a health spending account for benefits, 3-weeks vacation per year, paid sick days, paid days off towards volunteering in the community, 11 paid federal holidays and many opportunities for training and ongoing personal development.
Some overtime and/or weekend work will be expected during the peak busy season of May to August.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume outlining relevant experience.